Friday, June 20, 2008

Beware of Barney!

Today the kids and I went on an spontaneous trip to a little town north of our house to see Barney live at a small mall performance. A friend of mine, Michelle, from the gym who has 4 young girls invited us to go with her and another friend. Carson was anxious the whole time-he's not that into real life characters of any kind or groups of a lot of people-but Haley had a blast.


Haley and her friend Jasmine

Carson, Layla, Haley, Jasmine, and Alexa eating ice cream cones



The kids playing in a play area at the mall



On the way out of the mall the kids wanted a slushee, so I got each of them one. After Haley took a few sips she decided she didn't want hers anymore and asked me to carry it. I explained that I had stuff in my hands and we were almost to the car. She got mad and said she didn't want to carry it. I once again explained that she asked for the slushee and she had to carry it because I couldn't and we were almost to the car. She then got louder and said well my hands are too cold. I suggested that she wrap her shirt around the cup to carry it and she once again refused and said I don't want to. And then decided she was going to show me who was boss by puposely dropping the slushee on the ground and the lid flew off and it splattered everywhere. UUUMMM..Where is the child abuse hotline when you need it?
Well we were in the mall, so I kept my composure and luckily it happened right in front of a hair salon, so after counting backward from 10, breathing in and out, and putting myself at a 20 foot distance from her, I just asked them for some hair towels and proceeded to make Haley clean up her mess. Which she surprisingly did without a fight. I think she already knew she was in enough trouble. She has really been testing me lately in a lot of ways.

So later we were talking about what happened and why she made the choice to drop her slushee on the ground and this is how it went:


Me: Haley why do think you have been having such a hard time making good choices lately?
Haley: Mom, I just can't handle being good anymore.
Me: you can't handle being good?
Haley: yeah. I just can't handle being good. I used to be able to handle being good. I would wake up in the morning and I could handle it and then later I just lost the handle.
Me: You just lost the handle?
Haley: Yeah, it's just Barney makes me make bad choices.
Me: How does Barney make you make bad choices?
Haley: I was just up there dancing and singing, that's why I went up to the front, and Barney just makes me feel so free. That's why I make bad choices.

I started to laugh at this point which ruined any further explanation from her on why Barney is a bad influence on her. Needless to say we made up and all is well until tomorrow when Barney's evil spell overcomes Haley once again and she makes more bad choices. And to think this whole time I thought the choices she made were voluntary.

Don't let that face fool you!

5 comments:

Em Russ said...

She's hilarious! Maybe I've been dreaming about Barney or something because sometimes when I get up in the morning I just can't handle it either... love that girl!

Bryan and Amanda Russ said...

That is classic, Tiff!!! I'm so glad to see you back in the blog mood. I can't wait to see everyone at the beach. Maybe we'll have to veto Barney as well because my kids are having quite the hard time too lately.I, too, have lost my handle and can't seem to find it anymore.

Johnny said...

I have been telling people that Barney is evil for years. I think I even saw a bumper sticker once. I am glad you have some hard evidence now.

Jodi said...

I always knew there was something wrong with a talking animal whose favorite color is purple! It must be the subliminal messages in his songs! Seriously, your post cracked me up. So many of my conversations with Taylor start out pretty good and then it is impossible not to laught when you hear where each new sentence takes the conversation! If all else fails, blame Barney!

Katrina said...

I love the "I just can't handle being good. I used to be able to handle being good." Being 5 can be such a challenge sometimes I guess, especially with such evil influences as Barney hanging around:)